The project aims to support the Chamber of Commerce and Industry and other ministries and agencies of Uzbekistan to implement the Action Strategy on five priority directions of development of Uzbekistan in 2017-2021. In particular, in line with the third direction of the Strategy “Priority areas of development and liberalization of the economy” the Project will support improving the business environment to enhance sustainable private sector development, growth of incomes from entrepreneurship and promote women and youth employment in rural areas. The Project can also serve as a platform to coordinate the efforts of other government agencies and donors in these priority areas.
The project will focus on the following areas:
Activity 1. Improvement of business service delivery through OSS (permit issuance, licensing etc.) measured in terms of costs and time spent by local entrepreneurs to comply with regulatory requirements.
- prepare an analytical brief on the performance of the Automated System of State Registration of Business Entities;
- analyze services provided by OSS, prepare an analytical brief with concrete recommendations on what services to prioritize for delivery, how to streamline (business process analysis) them to reduce time and costs for businesses;
- study international best practices in the field of obtaining construction permits, connecting to electricity grid, registering property and foreign trade (policy brief prepared);
- develop the concept of the monitoring system of business services provided by OSS
Activity 2. Support in establishment of mechanisms for implementing public-private partnership (PPP) projects.
- develop concept and statutes of the PPP specialists center (unit) under the CCI;
- assist CCI in elaboration of regulations and methodology for soliciting PPP projects, conducting tenders for private operators and PPP contract monitoring, with pilot PPP activities in the utilities sector.
Activity 3. Support women and youth start-ups in regions and their financing mechanisms.
- conduct the third and following rounds of youth and women entrepreneurship start-up programme;
- prepare an analytical brief on different financing models of start-ups based on international experience;
- support CCI and other stakeholder to establish Business Incubators in the regions (methodological and capacity building support).