‘Social Enterprise - Social Services - Social Society’ - Contest for Journalists
Together with the Ministry of Labor and Social Protection of the Republic of Uzbekistan, UNDP has announced the ‘Social Enterprise - Social Services – Social Society’ contest.
The contest goals are to improve the broad and comprehensive coverage of social partnerships in Uzbekistan’s mass media, with a particular focus on interaction between the state, NGOs and business, efforts made to employ socially-vulnerable groups, and the provision of social services to this particular category of the population.
The contest also serves to improve the coverage of approaches undertaken to develop social services, and the creation of social enterprises that support vulnerable groups such as people with disabilities, low income families and women in difficult situations. It also encourages journalists to cover the use of social partnership as a means of improving employment.
This contest is open to journalist and bloggers working in the electronic, broadcast and print sections of Uzbekistan’s mass media, including freelance and self-published journalists, regardless of their professional experience, where they work, or their perspectives, beliefs and other characteristics.
Contest entries can be submitted from the 1st of May to the 31st of August, should be in the Uzbek, Karakalpak and Russian languages, and can include stories published in the electronic, broadcast and print sections of Uzbekistan mass media.
Entries can include articles published in newspapers and magazines, stories broadcast on radio and television, articles published on internet publications and personal blogs with the .UZ domain, and media products produced by information news agencies.
The entries submitted to the competition are expected to show:
- Successful experience, real examples, and proposals and measures of how aid can be provided to socially-vulnerable groups, specifically through employment and social involvement, and through the creation of social enterprises;
- How favourable conditions have been established for the development of social services for vulnerable groups, including people with disabilities, low income families and women in difficult situations;
- How vulnerable groups, including people with disabilities and women in difficult situations, can become better involved in social-economic life;
- How necessary conditions that have been created to provide jobs for women in vulnerable situations and people with disabilities;
- How social partnerships can provide employment for vulnerable groups.
The Format of Contest Entries:
The materials and documents submitted by candidates must meet the following requirements.
For print mass media (newspapers and magazines):
- Articles published in printed media and entered into the contest should be no less than 500 words long, and should be submitted in an original copy, a high-resolution scanned copy (with a page number and title included), and in an e-copy.
For internet articles (websites and blogs on the .UZ domain):
- Articles published on the internet and entered into the contest should be no less than 500 words long, and should be submitted in a e-copy format (with a link to the original article on the internet publication).
- Television stories entered into the contest should be no less than four minutes long, and should be submitted in a DVD file with a reference to its broadcast time and date.
- Radio reports entered into the contest should be no less than four minutes long, and should be submitted on a CD file with a reference to its broadcast time and date.
The materials submitted to the contest shall not be returned to the entrants, and they must be in the Uzbek, Karakalpak or Russian languages. The organisers of the ‘Social Enterprise – Social Services – Social Society’ contest retain the right to publish the submitted materials as a collection of printed and electronic products.
Judging and Evaluation:
The winners and laureates of the ‘Social Enterprise – Social Services – Social Society’ contest will be awarded with diplomas and prizes provided by the UNDP Project.
First Prize: A Canon 1100D Camera with 18-55 standard lens, 8GB Class 10 High speed SD Card, Carry case
Second Prize: A HP MINI 200 ATOM Processor 1.66 GHZ, 2GB memory, 320GB hard drive, CAM, WIFI, ВТ, ENGLISH/RUSSIAN KEYBOARD LAYOUT, and a 10.1 inch Screen
Third Prize: Kindle Paperwhite
Encouraging Prizes: Sony Digital Voice Recorders ICD-PX312 with Rechargeable Batteries
An independent jury of experts will award prizes.
The ‘Langar’ creative group has offered their own special prize, a gown (‘Chapan’) sewed and embroidered by Mukhlisa Kurbanova, a wonderful craftswoman from the Parcha Chandir village. This Chapan has its own story.
All contest participants will receive a certificate provided by the UNDP project.
The deadline for submissions is the 30th of September, 2013, while final results will be announced by the 10th of October.
Entries for the ‘Social Enterprise – Social Services – Social Society’ contest must be submitted to:
37 Kamarniso Street, Tashkent, 100109, the Republic of Uzbekistan
Теl/Fax: (998-71) 214-87-45, Tel: (998-95) 144-15-37
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (To the ‘Social Enterprise - Social Services - Social Society’ contest)
Full Name: ___________________________
Personal information, including city, age, place of study (work), mass media that participant cooperates with (if relevant)
Contact details (e-mail address is mandatory)
Title of the material submitted