Better Buildings, Cleaner Environment
The ‘Promoting Energy Efficiency in Public Buildings in Uzbekistan’ project, conducted since 2009 in partnership with the State Committee for Architecture and Construction of Uzbekistan (Gosarchitectstroy) institute, has worked ceaselessly to reduce both energy consumption and the associated greenhouse gas emissions of Uzbekistan’s public buildings.
This initiative is particularly important considering that Uzbekistan’s public buildings account for almost half of the country’s total energy consumption. In most cases this is due to the fact that building codes do not adhere to internationally-accepted energy efficiency requirements. The importance of ensuring that new buildings and buildings undergoing reconstruction are made energy efficient has been recognised.
- Due to the efforts of UNDP and its partners, energy-efficient technologies and features have been installed in public buildings throughout Uzbekistan.
- Such design features have helped to enhance the energy efficiency of public buildings, which currently are the biggest users in Uzbekistan, while helping to maintain a good international temperature for the people that use them.
The buildings that have received particular attention under the project include those in the education and healthcare sectors, such as schools and rural health clinics. Focusing on these buildings helps to demonstrate the advantages of integrated building designs, and to train local specialists in regards to the construction and maintenance of energy efficient buildings. It also supports national institutions in their work to improve building codes and standards.
The project has produced a number of important results, which have included the revision and submission of seven selected building codes to the Gosarchitectstroy for approval, the revision of two building codes and 53 new related terminologies, and the completion of four stages of energy monitoring in six example buildings. Other results have included the development of a guide to Integrated Building Design, and the co-financing of the design and construction of eight example buildings.
To further these results, training modules and programs regarding energy efficiency have been developed for architects, designers and energy managers. Cooperation has been established between the mass media, building owners, experts, and students of relevant higher education institutions, in an effort to raise awareness of the importance of energy efficiency and energy savings.
The members of the Project Board, and the representatives of the ministries of economy, public education, healthcare and higher education, have all had an opportunity to learn about these important project achievements in a report presented by the Project Manager Mr. Kakhramon Usmanov.
Mr. Jaco Cilliers, the UNDP Deputy Resident Representative, has stated that “This meeting is especially important, as it gives us the opportunity to discuss with our partners achievements made and plans for the future.”
It is the on-going collaboration of the many parties involved in this project that ensures that this important initiative can continue. Making the country more energy efficient is an important step on the road to bringing Uzbekistan into the 21st century.
UNDP Uzbekistan on Facebook
- The United Nations, backed by A-list celebrities from across the globe, launched an unprecedented campaign Wednesday against the illegal trade in wildlife, which is pushing species to the brink of extinction. No one should profit from the illegal wildlife trade! Find your kindred spirit animal at https://wildfor.life/ #wildforlife #GlobalGoals 17 hours ago
- Узбекистан сэкономит 500 млн кВтч электроэнергии в 2016 году благодаря внедрению энергетической маркировки и сертификации бытовых электроприборов, строительству новых энергоэффективных, реконструкции жилых и административных зданий, поэтапному внедрению возобновляемых источников энергии и др. В рамках проекта ПРООН было построено 8 демонстрационных энергоэффективных зданий. Полезные материалы, пособия и видео вы можете найти на нашем сайте: http://www.uz.undp.org/content/uzbekistan/ru/home/library/environment_energy.html 17 hours ago
- "See more posts"UNDP Uzbekistan on Facebook