In-depth: Inclusive and Democratic Governance
UNDP in Uzbekistan: One-stop shops and government information centres have made information and services easily accessible to the greater public.
UNDP provides technical assistance, policy advice and development interventions to Legislature, Executive and Judiciary promoting the rule of law, system of checks and balances, transparency, integrity, accountability, effective public administration and citizen-centric public services delivery. Based on international experience, global UN expertise, innovative approach and lessons learned from the pilot initiatives, UNDP in Uzbekistan pursues close collaboration with partners in the following areas:
- Strengthening institutional capacity of the national public administration through evidence-based policy making (functional review, streamlining of administrative procedures, prevention of corruption in public sector, public participation, business process review) and introduction of a more professional civil service;
- Further strengthening rule of law and better protection of rights (judicial independence, transparency and enhanced court administration, regulatory impact assessment (ex-ante and ex-post) of laws and regulations, anti-corruption screening of legislation, parliamentary oversight);
- Human-rights based approach (follow-up support to UPR and Treaty Bodies recommendations) and gender mainstreaming to development programming (people with disabilities, women, elderly and other vulnerable groups);
- Integrated local development planning, enhancing the role of local authorities in regional developments; Participatory sustainable local development and accountability of local governments;
- Creating enabling environment for delivering streamlined and efficient public services to businesses and citizens, enhancing public-private partnership, citizen engagement in decision-making, inclusive social protection and social services, expanded partnership with CSOs; Innovation public management via Open Government and Open Data;
What Has Been Done
Thanks to mutual trust and effective cooperation with national and international partners, for the last 4 years, UNDP Uzbekistan achieved several landmark results on good governance area. UNDP team continues to strengthen and upscale them so that the results would be sustainable and have catalytic effect.
UNDP’s engagement with the Supreme Court contributed to generation of new legislative acts to scale up pilot e-court system for courts on civil lawsuits. The development and application of “e-Sud” (E-court) national case management system for civil courts enabled improved access to justice in more than 250,000 cases for citizens, including vulnerable groups, such as women
To create more favorable business environment, the Government of Uzbekistan has adopted the resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers on application of ex-ante regulatory impact assessment of laws, which have impact on entrepreneurship. UNDP has provided substantial support to design this resolution to include public participation and public consultation platforms, such as regulation.gov.uz
Within local governance support programme, UNDP provided support to the government partners to design Methodology for Regional Development Strategies. Within supporting E-government Master Plan 2013-2020, service orientation of Government was enhanced through policy advice and design of e-solutions and business process re-engineering. Thanks to joint cooperation with Government, National Transparency Index methodology was designed, Open Data concept introduced through data.gov.uz website with machine-readable datasets and hackathons with IT developers. Currently Uzbekistan is ranking 80th among 193 countries in UNDESA E-Government Survey 2016 (20 positions up compared to 2014).
Online services have become more accessible for citizens of Uzbekistan abroad largely because of the online queue system of appointments at the embassies and consulates of Uzbekistan developed by UNDP. It significantly reduces waiting time for people needing an appointment with just one click as well as eases the business processes for consular officials.