Green Climate Fund (GCF) Readiness Programme in Uzbekistan
The Green Climate Fund (GCF) Readiness Programme's objective is to support the Government of Uzbekistan in strengthening its national capacities to effectively and efficiently plan for, access, manage, deploy and monitor climate financing, in particular through the GCF. These activities will be planned and implemented in line with national policies and priorities. The Programme will target two important aspects of the GCF approach, namely access to funds and private sector engagement, both of which will require significant preparatory work before GCF financing will be possible at scale. The GCF Readiness Programme will focus on a range of preparatory activities to: a) build and strengthen the institutional capacity of national entities in Uzbekistan, with a focus on enabling direct access; and to b) help Uzbekistan prepare climate change mitigation and adaptation investment strategies, programmes and projects, including through the active involvement of the private and financial sectors.
The GCF Readiness Programme, delivered in partnership with UNEP and UNDP, will implement the below four project components through cooperation and collaboration with all relevant government agencies, LFIs and other stakeholders, and lay out some potential GCF Readiness measures identified during consultations at different levels:
- Awareness and understanding of GCF and its processes, and the prioritisation and coordination on climate finance at the national level;
- Building capacities to develop a pipeline of climate projects, and to attract investment;
- Investment frameworks for adaptation and mitigation, detailing financial requirements for addressing climate change, and sources of funding;
- Training of Uzbekistan Local Financial Institutions (LFIs), including national, subnational, and private sector institutions, to effectively identify and evaluate proposals for climate finance from national stakeholders seeking funding.
Except for those actions that UNEP will specifically lead in implementation, UNDP will lead the implementation of the four components/ outputs.
- Raising awareness and understanding on GCF and its priorities and processes, and coordinating climate finance as strengthened at a national level;
- Building national capacities to develop a pipeline of climate projects and to attract investment;
- Developing investment frameworks for adaptation and mitigation, detailing the financial needs for addressing climate change, and identifying sources of funding;
- Uzbekistan LFIs, including national, subnational, and private sector institutions, are able of effectively identify and evaluating proposals for climate finance from national stakeholders seeking funding.
|Total Budget BUMB:||USD 1,589,458|
|Under UNDP Management||USD 1,372,458|
|Under UNEP Management||USD 217,000|