Rule of Law Partnership in Uzbekistan
Expanding access to justice, as a guarantee of rights and opportunities for citizens and their economic well-being, is also one of the goals proposed by the Open Working Group on Sustainable Development in the post-2015 development agenda, declared by the UN General Assembly. Taking into account the above reforms, UNDP has initiated close collaboration with the Supreme Court of the Republic of Uzbekistan since 2012, particularly, within the framework of the project "Civil Justice Reform: Effective Court Management". Development and piloting of E-SUD electronic case management system was among the crucial achievements of the project, which was also presented by Uzbekistan at 68 session of the UN General Assembly in New York in September 2013.
“Rule of Law Partnership in Uzbekistan” is a joint project of the Supreme Court of the Republic of Uzbekistan, United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). The ultimate goal of the Project is to strengthen public access to and trust in Uzbekistan’s civil court system. The Project works primarily with the Supreme Court of Uzbekistan, building on that institution’s political will and organizational capacity to build public trust and achieve greater alignment with internationally recognized standards of civil court’s accountability, rule of law and judicial performance. The Project provides assistance and support in implementation of current systemic and institutional reforms aimed at further deepening democratization and liberalization of judicial and legal system.
The Project is utilizing the multi-stakeholder approach to implementation. In fact, transparency of economic disputes will be increased in partnership with the High Economic Court. Law enforcement mechanisms will be further improved through capacity-building of the Judicial Department of the Ministry of Justice. To ensure sustainability, new court administration procedures and amendments to procedural legislation will be introduced into Civil Procedure Code and Economic Procedure Code and incorporated in the curriculum and resource materials of both Lawyer Training Center and Tashkent State Law University.
1) Increasing Court Responsiveness to Citizen Feedback through introduction of accessibility and transparency mechanisms into civil courts activity.
2) Enhancing the Knowledge and Technical Skills of Judges, Court Personnel and Lawyers; and
3) Improving courts’ efficiency through introduction of information systems (interactive services).
- Improvement of citizens’ feedback mechanism to civil courts
- Introduction of interactive services through Supreme Court website
- Promotion of practical application of Judicial Rules of Ethical Conduct among judges and judicial personnel
- Introduction of the best practices in judicial planning, court administration, and budgeting of judicial activities
- Promotion of judicial transparency and better engagement of the civil society in the justice procedures
- Support of the Supreme Court in piloting provision of free legal aid at civil courts
- Contribution to open dialogue on the judicial and legal reforms in Uzbekistan and formulate proposals to improve procedural legislation of Uzbekistan
- Capacity building of the Judicial Department under Ministry of Justice in terms of execution of court decisions
- Provision of technical assistance in improvement of professional skills of judges and judicial personnel
- Organization of events aimed at sharing experience, improving professionalism and discussion of relevant issues of civil justice involving Lawyer Training Center and Tashkent State Law University
- Improvement of the skills and knowledge of judges on application of UN conventions ratified by Uzbekistan
- Conducting research of procedural legislation of Uzbekistan for its further simplification and decreasing of time losses
- Further piloting of E-SUD judicial information system in additional eight district courts, and elaboration of additional modules on hearing cases in appeal, cassation, and supervisory instances. Strengthening the capacity of judges and judicial personnel in application of E-SUD system
- Enabling research and analytical activities of the Supreme Court of Uzbekistan aimed at broad implementation of its legislative initiative in cooperation with the Institute for Monitoring of Current Legislation under the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan
- Providing technical assistance to High Economic Court in increasing the efficiency of court hearings by piloting of audio-video recording of court proceedings